Friday, January 20, 2012

Controlled Chaos

Hello All,

            It’s been a while since I have posted, the training pace has picked up quite a bit so I have been fairly busy as of late. A lot has happened this week; so far I have trained on the Humvee and should receive my military license soon.


I had the opportunity to drive the Humvee on an off road course, during the day and at night wearing night vision goggles, which was quite awesome, I really enjoyed that training event.

                                  (this is not an image from the course, but this is how it looked)

Driving with NVG’s (night vision goggles) was strange at first, because it’s like your looking through a tube so you have blind spots which makes driving a little difficult, but once I became accustomed to it I was off and running.

Later this week, I had to complete roll over training, which is a simulator that looks like a Humvee that rolls over and you have to escape, it sounded easy when they were describing it. So basically a Humvee is a cramped 5 person capacity vehicle with a limited amount of room, and if you wear the amount of gear that was issued to use then it’s really tight. So they place you in the simulator and they give a basic scenario, they then roll you over upside down and give you the order to egress. Once you unbuckle yourself you drop about a foot, and then the fun begins at this point its knees, elbows and boots just flailing around trying to right yourself just so you can begin to find the doors and attempt to escape. It was tough when you are competing with four other folks to exit the simulator. At one point and time my head was wedged under the passenger seat and I was unable to move, as luck would have it I managed to free myself under all the controlled chaos and attempted to open the door, and that didn’t go so well, however one of the four managed to open his and everyone else headed for that door as it was the only available exit at the time. We had to do this while wearing all of our gear which made it that much more challenging. The vest we wear weighs 30 pounds which keeps keep you protected but adds to making the task much more difficult.

So needless to say it’s been busy and another week has passed by.

Thanks for all the prayers and God bless you all.

To be continued…..

No comments:

Post a Comment